Pedaling for Affordable Housing

Hey everyone, my name is Alex Cohen and I'm graduating from Boston College on May 24. Three Days later, I'm flying to Jacksonville, FL, and I will spend the next two and a half months riding a bike to San Francisco. Along the way, 30 of my fellow riders and I will spend 17 days building homes with affordable housing groups like Habitat for Humanity.

Riding 3,700 miles is a challenge. Raising $4,000 to do it is more of a challenge. All of the funds raised go directly to affordable housing groups across the country. Be a part of this awesome adventure and GREAT cause with me by donating online at www.bikeandbuild.org/rider/3602.

Thanks so much, and I hope you enjoy my blog!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cape Ann Coaster

The red line is where I rode my bike. It was 61 miles. That's a little more than the distance between Toms River, NJ and Philadelphia. Chump change in Bike and Build terms.



So I don't really know what the "North Shore" or the "South Shore" really means, but people from Massachusetts use these terms often. Apparently really rich people live there. I don't know.

What I can tell you, after having biked through pretty much all of Gloucester County on the North Shore, is that it is gorgeous. Also, judging by the houses... really rich people live there. Something to work towards I guess.

Anyway, here are some videos I took on my first really long training ride. I rode with the Charles River Wheelmen, a Boston cycling club. Each ride they do has a name (this was the Cape Ann Coaster) and when I finally caught up to them at the halfway/lunch point, they gave me some great advice and tips and (kind of) taught me how to ride in a paceline! Yay! They also paint sweet directional markers on the street so you don't need to continuously check your map. Very helpful. You'll see some of my fellow riders in one of the later videos.

Without further ado:

Part I




Part II




If you want to see the map from the top of this page in better, here's the link:
http://www.crw.org/CueSheets/cues2htm.php?id=62

No comments:

Post a Comment